DEPUTY MINISTRY OF SUPPORT
Finance and Budget
The Finance and Budget Department is the central unit for financial services in the MoIA. The Department prepares the annual budget of the Ministry then submits it to the Ministry of Finance for allocation and integration into the overall budget of the Afghan government. After the budget is approved by Parliament and the President, and then circulated by the Ministry of Finance, financial allocation is provided on a monthly basis through a commission to the MoIA budgetary units.
Law and Order Trust Fund for Afghanistan
Afghanistan’s national police are largely funded by the international community. Donated funds are put into the Law and Order Trust Fund for Afghanistan (LOTFA) and managed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Most of the LOTFA funding pays police salaries, however funding for other police reform projects has also been made available. A steering committee chaired by the MoIA and composed by a representative from the Ministry of Finance, as well as representatives from the donor countries, oversees disbursement of the funds. The MoIA Finance and Budget Department is responsible for working with LOTFA to ensure that appropriate procedures are followed for the expenditure of the funds.
The Ministry of Interior Affairs implemented the following development projects in 1392 (2013-2014):
Seven firefighting buildings were built in Balkh, Kapisa, Sar-e-Pul, Farah, Parwan, Laghman and Takhar Provinces;
Fueling stations were built in Kabul, Nangarhar and Daikundi Provinces;
- A Center to assist families of martyred and disabled police was built in Police Town in Kabul City;
- Construction of six prisons began Bamyan, Logar, Samangan, Ghor, Wardak and Badakhshan Provinces;
- A contract was signed to build a facility to produce Electronic ID Cards, (Tazkira) in Kabul, and construction was 30 percent completed;
- Eleven fire stations were built in Kabul Province;
- A building for the Special Forces was completed this year, and;
- Thirty police checkpoints were constructed and established across the country.